Monday, May 5, 2008

Leahs French Fried Onion Circles Recipe

Everyone loves onion rings, and since I was splurging and doing a coconut shrimp last week, I went ahead and made these – my take on an old favorite. This batter is great for veggies too, so if you have your fryer out, and are already making something naughty, you can also quickly make these as a nice side treat.

The onions come out sweet while the batter makes for a nice zest due to the jerk seasonings. This is the batter I used to make the shrimp, so I had left over batter that I used to make my onion circles.
..Soaking onions in milk first will help the onions be extra sweet.

Ingredients:

  • One large yellow or vidalia onion for each 2 people
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/8 cup corn starch
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 4 good shakes of red chili peppers
  • 2-3 tablespoons jerk seasonings
  • 1 teaspoon freshly cracked tri-colored pepper
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup water/milk

Directions:
  1. Despite the amount of spices, these are not hot, yet they have some zest.
  2. Slice onions 1/4 inch thick, do not make into rings, but try to keep slices ‘whole’
  3. Place into batter and carefully flip them over to coat.
  4. Place bowl with batter and onions into refrigerator until ready to fry.
  5. These cook up quickly, and I did them last after frying up my shrimp I had made for dinner.
  6. Take onion slices out of batter, let excess batter drip off, and carefully place into hot oil.
  7. Flip over when one side has been browned and let cook on other side.
  8. Let cooked onion slices drain of fresh paper towels, and sprinkle with a little kosher salt once right out of the hot oil.
  9. Serve as a side dish and garnish with fresh chopped parsley or chives for added color if you so wish.

Onion Circles are shown at back of plate, served up on the delightful and extra naughty dish of coconut jerked shrimp and rosemary garlicked fries.

No comments: