I love brittle, and this take on peanut brittle really does a nice job - super easy and quick. Looks gorgeous if you dip pieces in melted chocolate on one side and allow to cool. Perfect for a quick gift too. Add some nuts and you got a new naughty you need to avoid! hehe Enjoy!
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cookie sheet with sides
- One pot with high sides to cook brittle in
- candy thermometer (or wide glass of iced water to check for candy stages)
- Combine corn syrup, water and sugar in pot on top of stove on low heat.
- Stir till sugar has completely dissolved.
- Once sugar has dissolved, cook without stirring to hard ball stage - 265 degrees.
- Add salt and butter and continue to brittle stage - 300 degrees (if you are using the iced water method to check for candy stage, brittle stage is when you pour a little of the mixture into the water, it creates threads that easily break when you pull it out of the water)
- While this mixture is cooking on stove, toast up shredded coconut in oven on cookie sheet. Take out and let cool.
- Remove brittle mixture from heat, carefully add coconut and vanilla extract and stir till combined.
- Next, grease up cookie sheet with butter, an pour brittle mixture into cookie sheet.
- When cool enough to handle brittle, take by the edges and stretch into a thin sheet.
- When brittle is completely cooled, break it up into irregular pieces.
- You can also add toasted or even roasted chopped mixed nuts or just one type of nut like cashews for an amazing extra flavor!
- Makes 1 pound.