My Granny's version of an old favorite, served for breakfast with poached eggs like 'eggs benedict' gone chipped beef, or served alone on toast or biscuits...creamy, comforting and super easy and quick.
- 1 package of dried chipped beef - usually found by the bacon in your grocery store. I prefer packaged versus in a jar
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 tablespoons flour (start with one tablespoon)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 bowl with water
- dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- fresh cracked pepper
- warm toast or biscuits for serving
- poached eggs if you wish to serve it like 'eggs benedict'
- In bowl with water or under running water, rinse chipped beef to remove any excess salt during its curing process.
- Slice or pull apart with hands the chipped beef.
- Place chipped beef in skillet or pot, and add butter.
- Let chipped beef sautée and get a little crispy on its edges.
- Sprinkler flour over melted butter and chipped beef to make a roux
- Add milk slowly and with spoon stir and cook until thickened.
- If too thick for your liking, add a little more milk to thin it out.
- Serve it up over warm toast, biscuits or even a poached egg on a buttered english muffin for that eggs benedict look.
- Pour chipped beef with 'gravy' over eggs, biscuits, toast
- Sprinkle top with fresh cracked pepper and optional cayenne
- Serve at once, and watch the plates get licked up!