Here's a recipe for an extra special grilled cheese if you wish for something a little different.
The other night, I wanted to make dinner with what was in my fridge without going crazy with making a huge dinner. We had this fantastic sweet potato soup made with coconut milk which was super silky and smooth (I'll post that recipe soon) but I needed something comforting and ended up making one heck of a grilled cheese sandwich.
Now we have all made grilled cheeses so often, we sometimes forget how nice they can be if we make just a little extra effort. The little extra effort in this grilled cheese is the grilled onions and goat cheese with a small amount of homemade pesto spread on one side of the bread. The photo shown below has a second sandwich in which my boyfriend chose to use cheddar cheese and grilled eggplant and grilled onions.
So how do we make this? Let me tell you how. Though it seems silly to share the 'recipe' on how to make a grilled cheese sandwich, I would think everyone would know how to do this one, but you never know...
- Two slices of multi-grained bread for heartiness
- 1 tablespoon or less of pesto (we had homemade pesto)
- 4 slices of grilled onions
- 1/2 teaspoon each of mayonnaise and mustard
- 3 ounces of Monterey cheese
- 1 ounce of crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- Take two slices and open them up so that when placed back together, their ridges match - to help prevent cheese from oozing out when cooking.
- On one side of sliced bread, spread pesto all over slice. On other slice, spread mayonnaise and mustard. Ground and sprinkle fresh ground cracked pepper onto slices if you wish and a sprinkle of kosher or sea salt.
- Add grilled onions on one side, then sprinkle crumbled goat cheese and put thin slices on monterey cheese on top, close up sandwich and place into warm skillet.
- Add butter to skillet and turn on heat to medium low, allowing butter to melt.
- Add sandwich to skillet to cook. Grilling sandwich slowly on low heat will allow enough time for cheese to melt without burning your sandwich bread. Flip sandwich and cook the other side.