Thursday, February 21, 2008

Crab Cakes a la Leah


My version of darn great crab cakes - Just ate them up - had to take the photo quickly too! Great to make then freeze for parties with simple reheating them in the oven - serve them with my "best homemade tartar sauce" I just posted...


  • This recipe is easy and can be adjusted accordingly - today I used half "italian bread crumbs" from Progresso and half of my bread crumbs I made from my sun-dried tomato bread I had made earlier this month. This is a nice spicy and chunky styled crab cake - so enjoy! You can also make small "balls" of them and deep fry - but I do fine with sauteeing them in the skillet to make it less fattening.

  • ***OK here we go...

  • 1 onion chopped fine

  • 1 green pepper chopped fine

  • 1 red pepper chopped fine

  • 1/2 pound or more of lump crab meat (ok to use more affordable imitation crab meat- sssh I won't tell a soul if you don't, I promise!)

  • Olive oil

  • pepper

  • 1 tablespoon old bay seasoning

  • 1 tablespoon herbs de province

  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

  • Zest and Juice of one lemon

  • 1 cup bread crumbs

  • 2 eggs

  • 3 tablespoons mayonnaise

  • 1 tablespoon dijon mustard

  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

  • 1 tablespoon butter

  • 3 tablespoons white wine (optional - but it did add that extra "something"

  • ***Equipment Needed:

  • Skillet, bowl



  1. Heat up skillet.

  2. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 tablespoon butter.

  3. To hot skillet, add chopped onions, let sauté for 5 minutes.

  4. Add bell peppers to skillet and cook for another five minutes.

  5. Turn off heat and add white wine and stir

  6. Let cool.

  7. In bowl, add eggs, crab meat, all seasonings, mayonnaise, mustard.

  8. Add cooled down onion and pepper mixture and stir till well combined.

  9. Then add bread crumbs.

  10. Mix once again and let set for 20 minutes if you can wait that long.

  11. Clean out skillet with paper towel and reheat up again.

  12. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 tablespoon butter.

  13. Create 3/4 inch high patties of your crab meat mixture and place carefully into hot skillet.

  14. Brown maybe 5 minutes on one side, then turn over and let brown on the other another 5.

  15. Turn down heat if you have to, you may "flatten" crab cake slightly with spatula. Once heated through, place on plate and voila you have just made Leah's crab cakes!

  16. You can easily reheat these in the microwave or even create the patties and freeze for a future party. Try making small "meatballs" and deep fry them if you would like to have them at parties. Which is what I am going to do with the left over mixture.

  17. I was so zealous with the tartar, I over-dolloped the tartar sauce and ate every bit, the hog that I was (am) rofl.


Crab Cakes A La Leah @ Group Recipes

No comments: