Thursday, July 31, 2008

Gerties Egg Special Recipe


This easy dish has its origins from Ancient Spanish Ships traversing across the seas - but for me, this dish is what my mom used to make for breakfast when I was in luck and when we had left over potatoes, whether they were boiled or oven roasted. Easy quick meal I make for myself for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

She never liked being called Gertie, but we always loved her egg special for breakfast.

Ingredients:

  • Left over oven roasted (preferred by me) or boiled potatoes - any kind
  • 1-2 eggs per person
  • 1 onion sliced thin
  • 1 bell pepper (optional)
  • 1 garlic clove minced (optional)
  • salt and pepper
  • red chili flakes (optional)
  • a few shakes of hot sauce (optional)
  • fresh parsley minced (for garnish when plating)
  • large skillet
  • olive oil and butter
Directions:
  1. I have done this many times with raw potatoes which I suggest slicing and cutting very small, so that they cook up easily and quickly - though this will add at least 10 minutes to the cooking time.
  2. Take eggs out of refrigerator to get off chill.
  3. In skillet add a drizzle of olive oil and a little dab of butter
  4. Cut up left over potatoes into 1-1/2 inch sized chunks and put into skillet.
  5. Add thinly sliced or diced onions and bell pepper if using.
  6. Let brown and turn over to brown potatoes on the other sides.
  7. Once potatoes are nearly browned to your hearts content you can add eggs.
  8. There are two (2) ways you can do this - my photo shows both. You can either crack an egg on a pile of potatoes so that the egg gets fried sitting on top of the potatoes and when removing from skillet, you scoop up both potatoes and fried egg.
  9. Or - which is what my mother did - is crack the eggs over the potatoes, let cook for two minutes, then with spatula, 'break' yolks and start turning entire potatoes and eggs over each other creating a sort of fried egg/scrambled egg concoction.
  10. Cook eggs for as long as you like - I prefer soft and slightly still runny (but that is me - and don't yell at me for adding ketchup!)
  11. Plate eggs and potatoes and garnish dish with fresh minced parsley and serve with toast - add sausage, ham or bacon if you would like.
  12. Photo shows both ways of cooking eggs - as both are super delicious.
  13. Enjoy this easy way to upcycle cooked potatoes from the night before.

No comments: