In a Hurry Moo Shoo Chicken Stir Fry
Quick and slightly different stir fry chicken tastes a lot like Moo Shu Chicken - I added broccoli - but grab those crepes from your local Chinese market/restaurant to make it completely authentic at home.
I made this up last night and was happily impressed with its similarity to one of my favorite Moo Shu dishes -swap out chicken for beef or pork..choice is yours...serve with rice...enjoy! And get yourself real Hoisin Sauce from an Asian market to make it completely authentic - it really affects the end results!
- 1 whole chicken breast (both sides, skin removed, bone removed) - sliced into 1/2" strips
- 1 cup fresh broccoli cut up into bite size pieces
- 1 large onion sliced into strips
- 2-3 scallions minced
- 1-1/2 cups of sliced thin savoy/Chinese cabbage
- 1/2 cup slices of green and red peppers (frozen strips ok)
- 3/4 cups of alpha bean sprouts
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 dashes/shakes of red chili flakes
- 2-3 cloves of fresh garlic minced
- Oil for stir frying (preferably use Chinese typed cooking oil or vegetable oil - olive oil will smoke too quickly)
- 1 cup water plus 2-3 tablespoons of water
- 1-2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/3 cup soy - sodium reduced
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce (in your grocer's market - but it is best to get the real thing from an Asian store or your local Chinese restaurant - the difference is really amazing - get the authentic stuff, really and makes a big difference in the taste of this dish!)
- ****Equipment Needed"
- Wok/or deep skillet, three bowls and hungry people ready to chow down, literally.
- Have all your ingredients out and ready.
- Slice/dice/mince up all your ingredients.
- In one bowl, place your chicken and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, one dash of chili flakes, one tablespoon hoisin sauce, stir till combined and set aside.
- In second bowl, place one cup of water along with cornstarch, stir till well incorporated, and set aside.
- Heat wok with one tablespoon of cooking oil. Make sure it's super hot and ready by taking one piece of broccoli - if it's jumping around, your wok is ready.
- Put broccoli in wok and add two tablespoons water. Stir and cook for 4 minutes, till almost done and water has evaporated.
- Take out broccoli and put in bowl that you have the sliced cabbage in.
- Next grab that sliced onion, add a little more oil as needed. Stir fry till nice and brown. Place this along with cabbage and broccoli you had set aside earlier.
- Add chicken, stir fry till pink color is gone. Add garlic and let cook one minute.
- Bring back the cooked onions, broccoli and uncooked cabbage.
- Add all other remaining ingredients.
- Let cook for three or more minutes, stirring frequently, sauce will thicken slightly.
- Call hungry troops to table and serve with rice - voila and enjoy!
In A Hurry Moo Shu Chicken @ Group Recipes